Hey there guys The-Average-Alex here.
So it's been a while since this group has been active and the reason for that is that I have been working on re-vamping the group from the inside out. There are a whole bunch of changes and this journal will explain everything that is going on.
I strongly suggest that you read through the whole journal so you understand all the changes and understand how the group will be run.
You might have noticed the Logo on the journal, that is my personal logo as this is a variation of my custom journal skin.
The folders have been re-organised and will hopefully be easier for users to submit to. Some folders have different rules and you should make sure you read them carefully.
You can now submit 2 pieces of artwork per month instead of 1, this may increase to 3 depending on how things go!!
These folders are automatically accepted, Please try your best to submit to the right folder.
- Digital Illustrations: This is a very broad folder, anything listed as a digital painting/drawing/illustration will be allowed in here. This includes Cartoons and Comics and Vector artwork.
- Anime/Manga: Pretty self explanatory, all anime and manga goes here. Western style comics and cartoons will also be allowed here.
- Fan Art: All of your fan art can go here (as long as it is digital) I'm not being fussy with this one, fandoms scare me..... (i'm looking at you #troyler fans)
- 3D: All your 3d work can go here, please avoid putting pornographic artwork here, especially if you haven't listed the work as mature.
- Graphic Design: All logos, typography, posters, brochures, commercial work and general design work can go here, i'm leaving this pretty broad.
- Misc: If you don't think your work fits in any other folder submit here.
- Photo Manipulations: All photomanipulations are to be submitted to this folder, they will be accepted automatically, HOWEVER If you would like your work to be featured you NEED to make sure you provide links to all the stock you used. If you do not provide proper credits your work will not appear in any of our features. The reason behind this is that we do not have the manpower to make sure you are all doing the right thing, so we will give you the benefit of the doubt, just remember in doing so we rely on you to make sure you follow the rules.
- Advanced Artists: If we think your artwork is in a higher tier than most artists then you might find yourself with an request for your artwork to be put into this folder. Our staff will be responsible for managing this folder. To everyone who would like to spout the "art is subjective" speech it's going to fall on deaf ears.
Technique, anatomy, composition, colour theming and quality of finish will all be taken into account for this folder. You cannot submit to this folder it is by invitation only.
- Staff Picks: This folder will house artwork chosen by our staff. If your work has been featured in our feature journals it will be moved to this folder. You cannot submit to this folder it is by invitation only.
- Stock Images & rescources: If we find any awesome stock images or resources we will add them to this folder. You cannot submit to this folder it is by invitation only.
Features will be organised in a slightly different manner than how they used to. Artwork will be chosen either in accordance to a theme or category and the artwork featured may not always be digital, features will incorporate works from all over deviantart as well as from within the groups folders. They will happen once every fortnight (occasionally there may be more than one a fortnight). I believe that features can help artists grow as they can show you different artists who can inspire you and impact how you approach your art.
Artist Interviews + Group/Contest Features
I'm going to try and start the artist interviews again and they will go up as often as possible, they are a little difficult to organise but they are fun to do and lots of you guys seem to like them.
When it comes to featuring other groups we used to refuse to do so, however now, if we find a group who we believe fits in with out ideas and morals then we might feature them here It also gives you guys a chance to see what other communities there are out there. Oh and we might also help advertise contests but that hasn't been 100% confirmed yet.
Contests/Competitions/Give-awaysOk so we all love contests and give-aways, and they are an awesome way to test your creativity and see what you guys can come up with.
Over the past few years we have hosted some awesome contests and give aways but of course these all come at a cost. And over the past few years I have given out over $2600 out of my own pocket (not just digital art club contests mind you)
I would like to be able to host amazing contests and give aways as often as possible but to do that I need your help. to put it bluntly we need financial help to do this. So here is what I am proposing
Introducing PatreonPatreon is a service that allows people to donate as little as $1 a month to artists who they wish to support.
So I have set one up, under my name, and I will explain why it's under my name.
To make sure that we comply with deviantarts Terms and conditions I have set it up as a personal account, however if you ready through the Description on the patreon page you will find that it literally only focuses on Digital-Art-Club.
For as little as 25 cents a week you can help support the group and allow us to host contests and give aways with super awesome prizes. We have 46 thousand members, if even 100 of you donated just $1 a month we could host some super awesome contests
What do you get out of donating:Don't worry you wont be left without reward if you donate, you will see that there are perks that you will receive if you donate (perks change depending on how much you donate) You can also cancel your donations at any time so you aren't locked in. There are even a couple of mint condition, deviantart plushies available as higher end perks
Once we reach certain goals a portion of the money raised through Patreon will go towards Charities (Minnies Food pantry, mcgrath foundation and many more)
There is a nice button on the bottom left hand side of the journal which will take you to the Patreon Page. It will be on all journals from now on.
Sincerely: Alex Blaszczynski (aka The-Average-Alex )
Im sorry this all took so long, I'm just one guy and I do have a lot to do, but I really do appreciate your patience and I hope we can keep growing as artists together. I have set myself a weekly schedule which includes my responsibilities to this group so I will not be leaving this group to fend for itself again. Love you guys